Bill Fenn, N4TS, passed away Friday, June 7, 2019. The Funeral was Tuesday, June 11 at 2PM in Charleston, SC. Please see:
Upcoming Meetings (updated June 13)
- The June meeting is TBD at this time
- The July meeting is TBD at this time
On August 3rd at 2:30pm Francis Gary Powers, Jr. will be presenting: Spy Pilot, Francis Gary Powers, the U-2 Incident, and a Controversial Cold War Legacy. More info will be loaded shortly.
- NOTE: Monthly meetings are held at Linaspace, 2701 Prosperity Ave, Suite 215, Fairfax, VA 22031 after a tacos session. (thanks to Mark Kanawati) (close to Tippy’s) Meetings are usually on Saturday afternoons, and open to non-members. Consider yourself invited. Monthly meetings are reserved for technical talks
- Saturday luncheons (also known as Tacos) are held every week around Noon at Tippy’s Taco House 8632 Lee Highway (US Rt 29) near Cedar Lane, Merrifield, (Fairfax), VA (Map and directions) Everyone is invited. There is no format: demonstrate your latest project, ask for technical assistance, or simply eat a tacos.
- (NOTE: More info on each meeting presentation can be found within the AMRAD Newsletter, thanks to Dick Barth, W3HWN)
- At the March 16 2019 meeting, Steve Peterson gave a presentation on Humanity Road/VERT presentation. Mont Co CERT has developed a program to retain members’ interest in serving their community. The presentation discussed virtual activations by their VERT and includes lessons learned and best practices.
- There was not an organized February meeting due to last-minute schedule conflicts, just regular tacos sessions
- For the January 12 2019 meeting Terry Fox, N4TLF (via Skype) discussed CP/M emulators, 3D printing, and small CNC for making circuit boards.
- The December 15 2018 AMRAD meeting was the annual business meeting
- The Nov 17 2018 AMRAD meeting presentation was Introducing BooyaSDRWeb Remote Operation. See these links:
- http://booyasdr.sourceforge.net/live and http://booyasdr.sourceforge.net
- At the September 22 2018 meeting Karl Berger, W4KRL, dicsussed the use of APRS-IS as a cloud-based system for telemetry and simple messaging
- Pat Gray presented “P25 / Public Safety Radio” on August 25
- The AMRAD meeting on July 21 2018 had a presentation by Stephen (Steve) Hughey, AK4R, on ‘Innovations in Computer Aided Antenna Analysis’. A short synopsis of an accompanying article with a couple of illustrative examples using ZPlots (AC6LA) and Antenna Analysis Program (AK4R) for the SARK 100 & Mini60 series analyzers that are may be of interest to the radio amateur followed by a brief Q&A session.
- At the June 30 2018 meeting, there was a review using the TYT CPS software to program the TYT MD2017.
- At the May 12 2018 meeting Ken Heitner WB4AKK gave a presentation on RMS Express a WINLINK client.
- The April 28th 2018 meeting had a presentation by Mike Toia on: “How to Draw, Use the Smith Chart, and What It Means and Why”
- At the March 2018 AMRAD meeting Tom Wheeler (N0GSG) and Chuck Kraly (K0XM) presented Contact Manager, which is used for creating and modifying DMR radio codeplugs. The Contact Manager website is: http://n0gsg.com/contact-manager.
- The 2019 VHF Super Conference will be held April 26-28 at the Holiday Inn, Dulles Airport
- The 2019 Dayton Hamvention will be held May 17-19 at the Green County Fairgrounds and Expo Center.
- The Manassas Hamfest will be held Saturday, June 15. Note that it will be held at a new location, The Manassas Park Community Center